2017’s Top Kitchen Cabinet Trends
Your cabinets play the most important role in the décor and overall appearance of your kitchen. Whether you prefer sleek, clean lines with natural hues or ornate, dark cherry finishes—your cabinets say a lot about you, your style, the tone of the home, and the memories you will create there. Kitchen Cabinets & Beyond proudly offers Laguna Beach, CA, and the surrounding areas cabinets of the highest quality and craftsmanship. We have something for every style.
There have been many, many kitchen cabinet trends over the decades—haven’t we seen it all? Let’s review:
- 1950s: This was the age of chrome and everything-the-same-bold-colors. The modern woman was evolving, as was her kitchen (exclusively hers at this time). Chrome everywhere, and typically one color was the theme throughout the entire space. Think teal counters, cabinets, furniture, and appliances.
- 1960s: Finally, the kitchen slowly morphed from the mom’s domain to the family gathering place (over the course of the ‘60s, ‘70s, and ‘80s). A larger kitchen space—good for entertaining became popular, as did bright colors like yellow, orange, and fire-engine red.
- 1970s: Formica counters and dark cabinetry took the lead in this decade. Wood and wood-like veneer cabinets were almost the only cabinet option for a new or renovated home.
- 1980s: Ah, the ‘80s. It was an awkward time for us all. Particle board and light-colored overlay cabinets without hardware were all the rage. Why? They were cheap and accommodating for growing kitchen sizes. Cabinet designs with notches and cutouts for fingers to pull open were very “in.”
- 1990s: Additional cabinets and storage solutions were on the rise (beginning in the mid-‘80s). Center islands with cabinets and drawers resolved the demand for a clutter-free kitchen.
- 2000s: Remember when everyone had a “country” kitchen? Roosters and red and woven basket storage hanging from the ceilings? Another strong trend was the “antiseptic” craze. You know, those overly-industrial kitchens with stainless steel everything: counters, cabinets, sinks, fridges, etc.
And, finally, the 2010s and today: The Age of Diversity! Homeowners no longer overdo any one detail in the kitchen. The past six decades have taught us something about kitchen styles. It’s best to mix it up! Here are the hottest kitchen cabinet trends to date:
- Dark finishes: hues of espresso and chocolate work well for traditional and contemporary homes.
- Shaker-style: even though traditional finishes remain in the lead, shaker-style cabinets are a close second in contemporary homes due to their clean lines and versatile décor potential.
- Classic cherry: still the most popular wood for kitchen cabinets.
- Light, white, or blonde: best in country chic, cottage-style, modern homes. These look stunning with dark or detail-strong granite surfaces.
- Concealed appliances: hide unsightly appliances!
- Additional and specialty storage options: island cabinets and drawers, pullout spice racks, etc.
We love cabinets and we can’t wait until you love yours. For your Laguna Beach, CA kitchen cabinet needs, call us or visit our showroom, open seven days a week from 10 am to 5 pm. See you soon!
Kitchen Cabinets & Beyond
2910 E La Palma Ave Ste B
Anaheim, CA 92806